Sub-Identity: Logo Design

With the pre-production of the project complete, it was time to turn my attention to the design process and produce a series of designs that would showcase the functionality of the app whilst maintaining an aesthetically pleasing interface. With my client being Dynamic Business Services Ltd, I had initially branded the product to their brand guidelines. However, after pitching my concept to my peers and tutors in a concept critique, I received various feedback with the requirement of a sub-brand being a priority. 

"The project desperately needs a suitable name though! You should give some careful consideration to the title of this new platform." (Dr Tom Jackson - Lecturer in Digital Media, Deputy Director of Student Education)

For this particular design process, I chose iterative design as the method to ensure that the logo is represents the product in a clear and creative manner. Iterative design is the process of producing a design, testing and evaluating it, and then make changes and refinements based on the feedback. This process is then completed until you have the ideal design.

As you can see from fig. 1 below, these were the original designs in which I received feedback from peers between each design. For example, I received some feedback on design 1 (left-hand side) saying that the 'bite marks' are too small and therefore will not be scaleable, and that I should take an element of the text to use as 'bite marks'. Therefore in design 2, I took the 'B' and used that as the 'bite'.


(Fig. 1)

I still felt that the current designs were not appropriate. I then gained some feedback again from Tom Jackson with his expertise in graphic design in which he showed me some examples of very successful logos, with belkin being a prime example (fig. 2).


(Fig. 2)



The design of this logo goes beyond the typography, but the precise alignment of each letter including the consistent angles. These factors may not be noticeable without the help of the illustration above, but when implemented in the correct manner, are really effective. I continued to sketch and design logo's (receiving feedback along the way) in which I eventually decided on the final design (fig. 3).

(Fig. 3)

By taking inspiration from the belkin logo, I took advantage of the angle used on the letter 'e' to product a cube icon that represents a 'byte' whilst it is also made up of an 's' and a backwards 'b' to symbolise SmartByte.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Personal Reflection and Future Developments